Blood vessel captured on the compound microscope:
Today in class, we took a break from our TEM samples to jump into a little histology work. For class that day, the lovely Dr. Rasco kindly donated some of her old mouse samples to our class to practice our sectioning, fixing, and slide staining. Unfortunately, one of the two men in the class was absent that day, so there was a disproportionate amount of estrogen to testosterone present in the lab. The irony was not lost on us that Dr. Rasco does developmental work, and as a result, most of the samples she had embedded in paraffin were of the testes and ovaries. Well, there were plenty of women in our class ready to show the world why it should be called HERstology instead of HIStology by taking those testes samples and trimming away at them. As the sole representative of his sex, the man took all our jokes in stride and even decided that this might be the only time he could claim he had his own set of ovaries.
The block I ended up choosing contained a mouse heart, which I trimmed with ease on the microtome when compared to the ultramicrotome and my TEM sample. The above image is of a photo merge of three separate micrographs taken of a blood vessel found near the heart. Photoshop continues to surprise me with the things it is capable of doing. It really is an incredible tool that allows us to get the details we need at the perfect magnification even when our field of view is too small. However, as we have discussed in class, there is quite a slippery slope one can slide when dealing with photoshopping their images.